Procedure for Estimating Manure Density
Manure density varies with moisture content primarily depending on the amount of bedding. To calculate a more accurate estimate of manure density, use the procedure below:
- Weigh an empty 5-gallon bucket. Record the weight in pounds.
- Fill the 5-gallon bucket with a typical sample of the manure and weigh the bucket and manure. Record the weight in pounds.
- Subtract the weight of the empty bucket (step 1) from the weight of the bucket with manure (step 2). Record the weight of the manure in pounds.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 at least 5 times and calculate an average weight. Record the average weight in pounds.
- Divide the average weight by 5 to determine the density in pounds per gallon. OR
- Multiply the average weight by 1.5 to determine the density in pounds per cubic foot.