Even though energy prices have stabilized, the volatile prices of 2008 have raised everyone’s awareness of energy use and conservation. Farm producers interested in reducing energy use or utilizing renewable energy can find several useful resources from the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Network. Two of these are:
- Farm Energy Calculators help producers determine ways to reduce energy use. There are a variety of self-assessments, as well as calculators for animal housing, tillage, and nitrogen.
- The Farm Energy Resources Search Utility allows producers to search for renewable energy resource available in their state. Technology providers and businesses can also use a self-listing form to be included on the resource list. Clicking on a state will link you to information on anaerobic digesters, biodiesel, energy efficiency, ethanol, funding, solar, and wind.
More Articles in the December, 2008 Newsletter
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Agriculture Compliance Assistance Center
- Farm Energy Resources Available
- January Webcast Is Targeted Feeding Strategies to Reduce Air Emissions from Animal Manure
- Prairie Strips Have Potential to Keep Soil and Nutrients in the Field
- Webcasts Provide Continuing Education Units