There may be federal, state, and local regulations that apply to livestock and poultry operations. Refer to the resources listed below to find information on regulations that may apply to your farm.
Don’t Miss! Archived webcast (July, 2014) “Proposed Waters of the U.S. Rule“. The archive includes updates on the rule after it was finalized and the legal rulings that have since blocked its implementation.
EPA Laws and Programs That Could Affect Agricultural Producers
|Implications of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) ruling for animal agirculture
Archived webinar – August 6, 2015
An excellent resource for this area is the EPA Agriculture Center. The Ag Center provides compliance assistance information to ag producers and their advisors through a listserv, toll-free phone number, publications, website and more. Below are links to topic-related information.
- (New November 2014) EPA Fact Sheet on What To Expect When Your Operation Is Inspected
- Inspection Checklist/Self Assessment from the Heartland Regional Water Quality program.
- Nutrient management planning (NMP) Records Checklist and Sample Records
- National Financial Assistance Resources
Publications, Fact Sheets and Articles About Animal Manure Regulations
- EPA Ag Center’s Animal publications
- Climate Change Regulations, Policy, and Market Opportunities for Animal Agriculture
- EPA CAFO Regulations (July 30, 2012)
- EPCRA Reporting: What Is It and Does It Apply To Animal Feeding Operations?
- SPCC Information for Farmers factsheet
- LPES Curriculum CAFO Fact Sheets (obsolete and are being reviewed for possible update)
- Large Livestock and Poultry Operations May Be Required to Report Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Record Keeping and Inspections for Animal Feeding Operations
- State Specific Manure Nutrient Management Information
Educational Materials for Teachers
- “Playing By the Rules” is about water quality regulations for animal agriculture
- Federal Regulations and Pending Legislation Affecting Nutrient Management (from the Waste to Worth conference, 2013)
- Federal Air Quality Regulations and Update on the National Air Emissions Monitoring Study
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Estimation and Reporting (this is currently not enforced by EPA due to Congressional prohibition expending funds to implement subpart JJ of the rule – manure management)
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures (SPCC or oil spills)
- What To Expect When Your Animal Feeding Operation Is Inspected